We are thankful for the wonderful volunteers who help provide families in need with the comforts of home. Whether it is a shoulder to lean on or a warm meal, our volunteers brighten the days for families experiencing what is possibly the hardest time in their lives. Volunteers can assist in planning and coordinating evening activities, supplying and cooking meals or can commit to volunteering on a weekly shift.
We hope that you will find a volunteer activity that will match your talents and schedule so you can begin a long and meaningful volunteer career with RMHC Omaha!
We review applications daily. If we see a match with what we need and what you are looking for, we will reach out to you.
Individual Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering with us entails being assigned to a specific, weekly three hour shiftthat you will commit to after orientation. For example, you may be asked to take the Wednesday 3-6pm shift if that is one of your choices. Then that shift would be yours to work each week, and we ask you to commit to volunteering with us for a minimum of at least four months if at all possible.
- Front Desk/Greeter (permanent and substitutes needed)
- Data Entry
- Kitchen Sanitizing
- Pop Tabs (weighing, sorting, bagging)
- Writing Thank You notes
- Prepare Fundraising Mailings
- Help us prepare for special events
Group Volunteer Opportunities:
Perfect for companies, college honor societies, and service clubs!
- Dinner Group
- Help at one of our fundraising events: Upcoming: Golf Tournament on Tuesday, May 6 at Shadow Ridge Country Club; and, Wings & Wheels on Friday, June 6 at Signature Flight Support hangar.
- Gardening, Spring Cleaning, Painting (these opportunities are minimal and usually during the spring or fall)
- Got a truck or van? Help us move Pop Tabs to Recycling Center! We recycle enough pop tabs to pay the utility bills for the whole house all year long! This is perfect for high school junior and seniors and college student organizations/teams. The recycling center is open from 7:30am – 4:00pm Monday through Friday.
Call or Email Jennifer for more information (402.346.9377 or Jtyler@rmhcomaha.org) Please note, that group opportunities are only available during weekdays.
Service Hours (for students needing hours for school credit)
Students who are in need of hours for school can help with our Pop Tab program. RMHC Omaha will bag, weigh and record an average of 30 million pop tabs each year. The money used from recycling pop tabs can pay our electrical bill for the entire year!
Please complete and submit the volunteer application (see above for link). If we have a need for additional volunteers, we will reach out to you.
Individuals must be at least 16 years of age or have an adult present to volunteer for this opportunity.
Youth Volunteers and Confirmation Groups
Our suggested options for these young volunteers are:
- Collect Pop Tabs for the House
- Do a Donation Drive and collect items on our Wish List
- Make Sibling Activity Bags (items can include card games, coloring books, snack and/or juice box, small puzzles, activity books, travel size games, etc)
All items can be delivered to RMHC at any time. We always have a staff person here happy to help you.